A Perfect Getaway DVD

Posted by Joe Wilhelm | Posted in , , , , , | Posted on 7:30 PM

With The Crazies starring Timothy Olyphant coming out, which Rene and I are reviewing, I wanted to take the opportunity to watch A Perfect Getaway beforehand. This movie was released on dvd a little more than a month ago after little publicity in the theaters considering it came out the same day as G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra.

This film was written and directed by David Twohy. Twohy did well creating this thriller by throwing many combinations out to viewers. The story is about a killer couple stalking and murdering tourists in Hawaii. The background scenery is just gorgeous.

Steve Zahn gives a decent performance as a newlywed husband who while vacationing in Hawaii discovers information about the murders and sends him into a frenzy trying to keep him and his wife, played by Milla Jovovich, safe. While I liked Jovovich's past work, I had trouble caring about her character and most of her actions throughout the film. Her lines felt forced and fake.

Olyphant and Kiele Sanchez were my favorites here. Both actors showed good emotion and sell their characters very well. Even when you know you are being fed bull crap from them, you still buy every word out of their mouths.

The thing I was impressed with Twohy's film here is even when the twist is revealed fully, the thrills don't stop. At first I felt uneasy when the big reveal was presented in an unusual way. We are subjected to flashbacks that weren't just your typical quick look back at how they got where they are but much longer detailed ones. After taking it all in, I have to say it was different, I enjoyed it.

Sadly, this is one of those dvds that other than offering trailers for future releases, there is nothing but an option to watch either the director's cut or theatrical version of the film. The trailers are shown preceding the main menu and are not even accessible through the menu system. I found this whole lack of extras odd and disappointing.

All in all, The Perfect Getaway is a decent film that entertains while still having its flaws.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment