Director Spotlight: Amarcord

Posted by Rene Alvarado | Posted in | Posted on 5:50 PM

I must confess, up until I watched Amarcord, I had never seen a Federico Fellini movie.I had no expectations at all going into Amarcord. That actually helped my experience because I was very pleasantly surprised with this movie. I always thought of Fellini movies as being like a lot of older foreign films. Boring and in black and white. Thankfully, that is definitely not the case with this movie. It's a living photograph of a place and time that a lot of people in this part of the world know nothing about.
Amarcord is the story of a small Italian seaside village during the time of Fascist rule of the 1930's. It's a semi-biographical tale of life in a time of almost peaceful oppression because of Fascism and the effects it had on life for regular people. We're introduced to a town full of interesting and vibrant characters that even in another language jump at you with their spirit. It doesn't focus on one character or story. It revolves around the town and it's people. The movie shows us how memories are important to how we see the world. Amarcord is Fellini's statement on the Italy he grew up in. To me, it's a story of a generation that lived their lives without knowing how everything would change in a few short years.

I love history. I enjoy learning about what happened before I was here. And, this movie really struck me because of that. It showed me a part of Europe and it's history that I had never really heard about. Visually, the movie is beautiful. It's a very striking movie. At first, the movie can be a little overwhelming because there is so much going on. It reminded me of Our Town. It tells a similar story, but with a much better sense of humor. Once you get a sense of what's going on and what kind of story is being told, you'll get lost in Amarcord. In a good way.

I watched this online and because it was so good I am going to start watching the rest of Fellini's movies.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment