Arthur Returns: All Hail The Drunken Hero

Posted by Patrick Newson | Posted in , , , , | Posted on 11:28 AM

One of my favorite movies when I was younger was Arthur starring Dudley Moore. Arthur was a boozing playboy, who takes absolutely nothing serious. He then meets a working class woman, (played by Liza Minelli) and falls in love. His family threatens to cut him off if he marries her, and in the end love conquers all.

The plot being as predictable as a movie of that day can be, it’s the little things that make me love it. While propositioning two prostitutes he talks one down to a hundred bucks for the night. He then orders his butler to give the other two hundred for coming in second. His butler Hobson (played to perfection by Sir John Gielgud) is responsible for one of the best exchanges in movie history.

Arthur: Hobson, I believe I shall take a bath

Hobson: I shall alert the media.

You may ask why are you bringing this up??? They are remaking Arthur. Who is going to be Arthur? In my opinion the only man that could play him, Russell Brand. I’m not sure about you, but there really isn’t anything I’ve ever disliked him in. In fact I’ve always said he seems to be Arthur mixed with Drop Dead Fred. I am looking forward to this film. Anyone else????

Comments (0)

Post a Comment